Jeffrey Scot Lytle - Filipina Wife
Image Courtesy by Elite Readers

CHICAGO – A 42-year-old man, who was detained for allegedly attempting to hire someone to kill his Filipina wife and their five-year-old daughter, has been released from detention.

However, it is not yet clear if the felony case against Jeffrey Scot Lytle had been dismissed.

Skimpy court records obtained by this reporter do not indicate Lytle’s next court appearance. Lytle was scheduled to appear in court last March 3 but sources in the office of the clerk of court said Lytle was released from detention.

There was no reply to messages for comment left on the phone of Lytle’s Filipino wife, Rhoda M. Lytle.

It was reported that deputies of the Snohomish county sheriff questioned Lytle after the sheriff was contacted by Lytle’s former employer, who said he had received a disturbing text from Lytle of Monroe, Washington that appeared to be intended for someone else.

The text reportedly stated, “Hey Shayne hows it going. You remember you said that you would help me kill my wife. I’m going to take you up on that offer. (Wife’s) life insurance is worth 1 million, and if you want a bounes (sic) you can kill (daughter). Her life insurance is 500k. I go to work 5 in the morning. (Wife) goes to work at 2:00pm so if you can make a robbery gone wrong or make it a accident she works at walmart she gets off at 11:00. I’ll split everything with the insurance 50/50. Please call or text me please.”

When Sheriff’s deputies contacted Lytle’s wife at work, she confirmed she has been married to Lytle for seven years and they have a four-year-old daughter. She also confirmed the existence of a family life insurance policy, and that there have been financial issues with her husband out of work, court records showed. She did not believe there was any marital issue that would cause her husband to want to kill her.

When Lytle was contacted at their family residence, he confirmed his cell phone number to the deputies and his former employer who had called law enforcement. Court documents said Lytle originally denied sending the text, but then said he wrote the text out of anger when he had a fight with his wife over his talking with another woman.

Court records also showed that Lytle did not send the text to anyone. He denied having any life insurance policies.

Lytle allegedly told investigators he had saved drafts of the message, which he wrote several months ago after his fight with his wife when he talked to another woman. He thought his four-year-old daughter might have sent the text message.

Lytle was taken to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit for questioning.

He reportedly described to the deputies how a botched robbery scenario might take place with the victims being shot in the home and items being taken. He told the police “Shayne” was just an imaginary name, not a real person.

Court documents stated that “Jeffery was mostly emotionless during the interview.”

A warrant to search Lytle’s residence was requested in order to access his cell phone and any paperwork related to any life insurance policy.

In the provisional order setting bail or conditions of release, Judge Bui found that “probable cause exists to believe that the accused committed the crime(s) described above based on the facts contained in the booking documents, the facts contained in the affidavit of probable cause.”

Bui said aside from the $1-M bail bond for Lytle, Lytle was also ordered to advise the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office of any change of address.

Lytle was charged with two counts of criminal solicitation for the crime of murder in the first- degree domestic violence.

A person is guilty of such crime if “he or she offers to give or gives money or other thing of value to another to engage in specific conduct, which would constitute such crime or which would establish complicity of such other person in its commission or attempted commission had such crime been attempted or committed.”

SHARE
Previous articleWill De Lima’s arrest rouse opposition?
Next articleSenator Bieda files bills on insurance transparency and accountability

Joseph is a former reporter of the Manila Bulletin, former president of the Rizal-Metro Manila Reporters Association and former president of the Chicago chapter of the National Press Club of the Philippines. A native of Sorsogon, Philippines, he and his family now live in Chicago. A prolific reporter, Lariosa writes a column and news stories for the Filipino Star News and other Filipino community newspapers in the US as well as for GMA News and the Manila Bulletin.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here