Trial for Murder
Image source: Internet

CHICAGO – Michael Marzo, a 23-year-old Filipino-American donut store employee, is not mentally fit to stand trial for a two-count, first-degree murder of his own mother.

This was the ruling by Judge Richard C. Schoenstedt of the 12th Judicial Circuit Court of Will County, Joliet, Illinois.

Chuck Pelkie, spokesman of Will County State’s attorney’s office, said Judge Schoenstedt based his ruling on an evaluation presented last March 6 by Randi Zoot, a psychologist.

Marzo is up for a status hearing on April 3 at 9:30 a.m. It will be the first of a year-long status-hearing evaluations that will be conducted by the State’s Department of Human Services, which will be taking custody of the accused. Marzo is being assisted by Public Defender Daniel Kennedy, a private attorney.[box type=”default” size=”large”] Accused apologizes to his sick pa for what he had done [/box]Marzo is being held on a $5-million bond posted following his arrest for the killing last Dec. 2 of his mother Shirley Marzo, 53, a registered nurse, in their home at the 500 Block of Nassau Ave., Bolingbrook, Illinois.

When he was arraigned last Dec. 27, Marzo pleaded not guilty.

He faces a maximum of 20 to 60 years in prison without parole if convicted.

His mother was founded dead “from an apparent stab wounds to her back” that came as a result of a domestic quarrel.

Marzo’s sister, Sherlene, told this reporter over the phone that their mother had always wanted to help her brother with his “schizophrenia” but they almost always ended up arguing.

She said when their mother and their father, Adriano, went to the Philippines last year, the siblings were taking care of Michael at home. But sometimes, Michael would threaten her and Stephanie and he would “apologize for everything.”

READ:  Noynoy’s performance rating hits record high of net-plus 67%

As a result of the threats, they moved out of the house and stayed in a house of their friends.

This was the first time that Michael became so violent and killed their mother. “Nobody saw it coming that he would be that violent. Nobody had observed that he could do what he did.”

Sherlene said a knife was used in the stabbing of her mother.

She said the family hopes that Michael would be confined in an “institution rather than in jail.”

Although Michael took some college courses, she said, Michael wanted to attend school and join the Army.

Michael worked for a long time in a donut store. He and his siblings visited the Philippines five times. They don’t speak Tagalog but they understand a little bit.

She said when Michael called home from his detention after the killing, his father asked Michael, “Why did you do this to us? You should have killed me because I was the one, who is sick, and not your Mom, who was healthy.”Michael apologized to his father, who is suffering from prostrate cancer.