The University of the Philippines Alumni Association of Michigan (UPAAM) announced it is now accepting applications for the UPAAM Outstanding Youth of Michigan (OYM) Awards.
Students completing high school in 2015 are qualified to apply for the awards.
UPAAM said the awards have been established in an effort to recognize excellence among Filipino-American youth. Any student with Filipino heritage, who is completing high school in 2015 and who chalks up outstanding achievements, may apply for the awards.
The award categories include Academic Excellence, Citizenship Leadership, Filipino Heritage, Performing Arts and Letters and athletic excellence.
The candidate’s application should include the following:
- A letter of application with a head-shot picture;
- A resume or biodata;
- A 250-word essay on “My Vision for the Future” (typed in double-space);
- Current school transcript indicating courses taken, including AP and out-of-school courses, and GPA (specify whether weighted or unweighted);
- A summary of achievements in the category being applied for;
- SAT/ACT scores;
- Class rank; and
- Letters of recommendation, certificate of awards/honors, testimonials, videotapes and other supporting evidence may also be submitted.
UPAAM also requires the candidate’s attendance at the Annual UPAAM Recognition and Awards Night, the date of which will be announced soon.
Applications should be sent by regular mail to Lavinia Mateo, incumbent president of UPAAM, at 788 Randall Drive, Troy, Michigan 48085-4854. The applications must be received on June 13, 2014.
For questions, qualified students interested in applying for the awards are asked to call any one of the following members of the search committee: Helen Domingo at tel. 248-855-4508; Lavinia Mateo, 248-318-5897; Delia Rayos, 313-885-1862; and Eden Alfaro, 586-979-2032.