The University of the Philippines Alumni Association of Michigan (UPAAM) is now accepting applications for the 2016 Outstanding Youth of Michigan (OYM) awards which are given to qualified high school graduates.
The OYM program, which was launched in 1984, was established to recognize excellence among the Filipino-American youth of Michigan. It has been going on annually for more than 31 years now.
Any 2016 high school graduate with Philippine heritage, who has demonstrated outstanding achievement during the four years in high school, is encouraged to apply.
The award categories include the following: Academic Excellence, Community Service/Leadership, Performing Arts and Letters and Athletic Excellence.
The candidate’s application should include the following:
- A letter of application with a photo (passport size)
- Personal information including address, phone number, email address, date of birth, parent’s names and other pertinent information
- A copy of the high school transcript of records, which indicates AP courses taken, if any. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 is required
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- Class rank
- A summary of achievements in one particular category (See above.)
- At least two letters of recommendation. Copies of certificates of awards, testimonials, videotapes, other relevant supporting evidences may also be submitted.
A 250-word essay indicating who the candidate is and why he/she deserves the award. The essay should be written in the third person, (e.g., “John Cruz, a 2016 graduate of Central High School, envisions himself helping people as a psychologist as he plans to start his college education at Rockwell University this coming fall semester …”) The essay will be edited and printed in the OYM souvenir program.
The winners are required to attend the Annual Recognition and Awards Night. This will be held on June 18, 2016 in the Ukrainian Cultural Center at 26601 Ryan Rd. corner Warren Rd., Michigan.
The winners will be notified a week before the OYM Awards Night.
Applications should be mailed to Mrs. Helen H. Domingo, OYM chairperson, 1710 Strickland Drive, Bloomfield , MI 48302, no later than June 3, 2016.
For any question, interested graduates are asked to call any one of the following search committee members: Roy Coloma, UPAAM President, 734-582-3463; Eden Alfaro, 586-979-2032; Helen Domingo, OYM Chairperson, 248-855-4508; and Delia Rayos, 313-885-1862.