[box type=”default” size=”large”] Rules and criteria governing barbecue contest released [/box]
Preparations for Kalayaan Picnic 2015 set on June 6 at the Halmich Park in Warren are now under way.
Kalayaan Picnic, a flagship event yearly hosted by the Filipino American Community Council (FILAMCCO), is described as the most attended outdoor Filipino festivity in Michigan. Last year, it drew 4,000 people who came from all over Michigan.
FILAMCCO President Imelda Martin-Hum said that all the committees are now working to make sure that the Kalayaan Picnic, which marks Philippine Independence Day, will be again successful.
Overseeing the preparations is Edith Ma`nzano who was appointed by the FILAMCCO board as chairperson of the overall Kalayaan Picnic committee.
One highlight of the festivities will be a barbecue contest. The committee in charge of the contest is chaired by Flor Sitchon.
The Sitchon committee has issued the following criteria and rules governing the contest:
- Entries should be typical Filipino-cooked barbecue, either chicken, beef, pork or seafood on skewers. Entries not on skewers will be disqualified.
- Freestyle presentation, that is on platters, plates, trays, etc.
- Free-style ingredients but a list of the ingredients must be provided to the judges. These must be typed or manually written on a 3-inch-by-5-inch card.
- A competitor can submit only one entry.
- The contest is open to amateur cooks (chefs/cooks in restaurants or caterers are not allowed). They should be 18 years old or older.
- A competitor must be a member of a FILAMCCO-member organization that has paid its fees.
- A contestant must fill out an entry form signed by the president or delegate of the member organization. One organization is allowed a maximum of two contestants.
- There will be five judges who will sample the entries, and their decision is final.
- All the filled-out entry forms are requested to be e-mailed to the chairperson of the contest committee, Flor Sitchon, at [email protected] at least three days (June 3rd) before the event. This would give the committee time to determine the number of competitors.
- All entries and ingredients cards must be given to the Flor Sitchon not later than 11:30 a.m. on day of the event at Halmich Park.
- Each course will have an entry number, which will match the contestant’s information.
- The judges will start tasting the entries at noon.
- The top three winners will be announced at the end of the Kalayaan Picnic program proper.
- The prizes are: First, $200; second, $100; third, $50. Consolation prize for Best Presentation is dinner for two.
- Taste, 50%;
- Presentation, 30%;
- Originality/Ingredients, 20%.
Certificates of participation will be given to all the participants