The Kapulongan ng mga Katolikong Pilipino sa Michigan (KKPM) has announced the schedule of the evening masses (simbang gabi) that will lead to the celebration of Noche Buena on Dec. 24, 2011.
The simbang gabi is a centuries-old, religious tradition of Filipinos. In the Philippines, it is held at dawn, and that’s the reason it is also called “misa de gallo.”
KKPM President Billie Belen said all the simbang gabi will be held in the St. Rene Goupil church on Ryan Road (between 15 Mile Road and 16 Mile Road).
Mrs. Belen said all the masses will start promptly at 7 p.m.
The dates of the masses and the sponsors are the following:
- Dec. 15, Good Samaritan Prayer Group
- Dec. 16, Maputol, Balanon and Carreon families
- Dec. 17, Mojares families
- Dec. 18, Attorney Maria Salud, Remedios Doctor and Healing Wheel Home Care
- Dec. 19, Dr. Dante and Ofelia Fermil
- Dec. 20, Joseph and Bishing families
- Dec. 21, Bukas Loob sa Diyos
- Dec. 22, C. Franks, G. Pineda and J & E Nayre, W. and D. Madla, B. and B. Cleto and their families
- Dec. 23, Al and Jessica Libo-on
- Dec. 24 (Noche Buena), Filipino American Community Council (FILAMCCO) and Philippine American Community Center in Michigan (PACCM).
Auxiliary Bishop Michael Byrnes, representing Bishop Allen Vigneron, will be the main celebrant of the evening mass on Dec. 17.
Mrs. Belen said KKPM is inviting all the Catholic faithful to attend the evening masses which will usher in the celebration of Christmas, which marks the birth of the Santo Nino (Baby Jesus).