[box type=”default” size=”large”] Deadline for registration for tour is May 15, 2015 [/box]
CHICAGO – The annual Ambassadors, Consuls General and Tourism Directors (ACGTD) Tour in the Philippines set on July 6-10, this year was launched last March 2 at the Philippine Consulate General in this city.
Now on its 10th year, the ACGTD this year is being hosted by the Philippine Consulate General of the Midwest headed by Consul General Generoso D.G. Calonge and the Philippine Department of Tourism of New York. The Chicago’s Philippine Tourism Office was earlier closed, and the New York’s Department of Tourism office takes over its functions.
ACGTD is inviting Filipino-Americans and overseas tourists to join the diplomats in the tour not only to familiarize themselves with each other but also to deepen their appreciation of Philippine history, heritage and culture.
This annual tour was launched by then Philippine Ambassador to the United States now Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F. del Rosario, who encouraged participants to be familiar with tourism destinationsin the Philippines while they immersed themselves in the Filipino culture.
This year’s various heritage sites to be covered by the tour are those in Manila and for the first time, Cebu. Other tourist spots in the itineraries for the participants are those in Bohol, Boracay, Davao, Dumaguete and Puerto Princesa.
It was in October 2004, when all Foreign Service Posts in North America, including the U.S. and Canada and the Department of Tourism, came together to conceptualize this project with the following missions:
- To entice the Filipino Americans in America to deepen their appreciation of the beauty of the Philippines, its rich history, heritage and culture.
- To attract not only the Fil-Americans but also overseas tourists to see and visit the various tourist destinations in the Philippines and discover the beauty of the islands, its white sand beaches, nature’s eco-tourism, adventure sites like scuba diving, mountain climbing, trekking and have the opportunity to experience the warm hospitality of the Filipino people.
- To assure travelers and tourists that the Philippines is a safe place to travel. This is to overcome the security concerns and the travel advisories issued by foreign governments.
- To attract Fil-Americans and foreign tourists to invest in the Philippines particularly in tourism-oriented projects, real estate and other tourism related industries.
- To promote medical tourism as well as health and wellness programs which the Department of Tourism jointly with the private sector is promoting particularly in major destinations like Cebu, Bohol, Boracay and Palawan.
- To promote the Philippines as a retirement haven for Fil-Ams and foreigners. And
- To contribute to the national economy in terms of foreign exchange earnings.
Individuals or parties interested to join the tour are asked to contact the Philippine Consulate General in Chicago at Tel. 312-583-0621, Ext. 22 and the Philippine Department of Tourism in New York at Tel. 212-575-7915.
The deadline for the registration is May 15, 2015.